The Queen of The South Supporters Site
Sunday, 7th August, 2022
Roasters Roasted
Hat Trick Hero

By Stuart McLaren

Date 3rd August, 2013

Queens ended up comfortable winners in this first ever competitive Dumfriesshire derby match, but struggled without the creative influences of Dan Carmichael and Derek Young until Annan were reduced to 10 men just before the hour mark. Derek Lyle capped what I already thought had been a Man of the Match display with a quick fire hat-trick to take us into a 2nd Round draw which will not include Rangers!

Saturday 3rd August, 2013
Palmerston Park Dumfries
League Cup 1st Round
Attendance : 1,588

Queens 3

Annan 0

Lyle (58)
Lyle (66)
Lyle (68)
Queens Yellows McGuffie
Queens Reds

Queens Team

Mitchell C
(McShane 80)
(Orsi 78)
(Reilly 71)
Paton M
Bench: Atkinson J Durnan none
none   none  

Match Report

Given the large queues at the ticket offices for this afternoon's game, I thought this first ever competitive match between Queens and our near neighbours was going to see a bumper crowd on Dumfries Show day, however, once inside, the 1588 crowd didn't even look that large to be honest, although a fair few seagulls did come in once the gates had been opened to allow free admission!


Queens side this afternoon was missing Derek Young and Dan Carmichael, why I don't know, but until Annan were reduced to 10 men, the loss of our two most creative players had seen Queens struggle to make many chances. Jim McIntyre's answer to the loss of these two vital players was to stick to his favoured line up, with Paul Burns filling the "Derek Young roll" in front of the back four, although I'm told the American guy who played as a trialist against Hearts in that roll was here today and Queens hope to sign him if a visa can be sorted out. Hope they can, because the roll definitely doesn't suit Burns!  McKenna and McGuffie were the "midfield 2", with Russell playing the Carmichael roll, all be it on the left wing rather than the right.  Mark Durnan at least made the bench, but I'd imagine still won't be happy! Annan had Peter Weatherston in the centre of their defence and David Hopkirk up front.


Queens started well enough, dominating the early possession, and in 4 minutes came close with a shot from the left edge of the box from Paton, I presume, bouncing awkwardly in front of the keeper and forcing him to turn it round the post. I have to say in the windier conditions today the pitch didn't look quite so "natural", Higgins struggled with the bounce a couple of times, and I just though in general players were struggling to control the ball more than they would have on grass.


In 13 minutes McGuffie met a Mitchell cross at the back post in plenty of space, but unusually for him, headed the ball over the bar. Annan threatened for the first time in 20 minutes when Queens were lucky to smuggle the ball clear following a scramble in their own box. Annan actually look the better side for the last 15 minutes of the half, a period they started with a powerful free header from a left wing corner which Antell did well to hold. I think both teams would have been quite happy to get in at half time at 0-0 and have the chance to start again.


Queens had the wind behind them for the 2nd half, a wind which was strong enough to see Annan's keeper struggle to clear his own half from kick outs, and by the way. on leaving the ground tonight, does anyone else thing the pitch is a couple of yards shorter now?  Annan through were first to threaten with possibly the best chance of the match so far 30 seconds into the half, when their right back met a left wing cross at the back post on the volley and forced a very good save out of Antell. 


There was another scramble in the penalty box in 49 minutes, this time it was Annan's box, and finished with a McGuffie header being cleared off the line.  The incident that changed the match came in 57 minutes when Annan's number 4 went in late on Iain Russell just inside his own half. He knew straight away it was a bookable challenge, and as he had already seen yellow, didn't even wait to see the ref's red card as he headed for the nearby tunnel.


With Annan trying to get themselves re-organised now they were a centre back down, Queens almost immediately took advantage of their extra man, as Mitchell sent in a cross from the right which Derek Lyle met with his head at the near post to send a header flying into the roof of the net and leave the keeper with no chance. 1-0.


Queens were now flowing, and on the hour, with Lyle directing things, swept through the Annan rear guard before Mitchell fired over from the right edge of the box. At this point I was thinking Lyle for Man of The Match, but soon after this he removed all doubt!  His second in 66 minutes could again have been down to the pitch as the keeper spilled a shot from the edge of the box which had bounced just in front of him, the ball bounced up nicely for Lyle to fire the rebound home from all of 2 yards, he only just beat me to the ball! 2-0.


Two minutes later it was 3-0 as Keven Holt swung in a free kick from 40 yards out on the left hand side, Lyle found loads of space in the box to complete his hat-trick with another powerful header. Queens had seen of their troublesome rivals in a clinical 11 minute spell.


Queens were now looking likely to score every time they touched the ball, the best chance fell to Reilly, who had replaced Lyle, with 2 minutes to go, but he blasted over. It made little difference, Queens were through to a 2nd Round draw for the League Cup which will not include Rangers, beaten 2-1 at Forfar today, so our odds of winning the trophy must have been slashed!



Man of The Match : Lyle
Read The Opposition's View at - Click Here For A Link To a Annan Site.


Total hits: 69
The Official
Queen of The South
Internet Site
The Official QoS Site