The Changing Face of Dumfries

General chat on anything to do with Dumfries.
Stuart McLaren
Site Admin

The Changing Face of Dumfries

Post by Stuart McLaren »

This is a thread I am starting by pinching some posts from the Queen of The South Mad Message Board because I want to remember the places which have closed in Dumfries.

Stuart McLaren
Site Admin

Re: The Changing Face of Dumfries

Post by Stuart McLaren »

Ftivano1

Amongst the businesses closing in town are the Pancake Place after almost 40 years in business, Ryman the stationers whose lease ran out and they were unable to agree terms with their landlord and Derek Laing Hairdressing at Calside Road who have been in trade in Dumfries for 50 years. Hopefully there are not more to come in these difficult times.

Stuart McLaren
Site Admin

Post by Stuart McLaren »

johnny_dumfries

I now see Fleshers Bar has decided it won’t reopen again due to all these government restrictions. Sadly it won’t be the first of perhaps many

Stuart McLaren
Site Admin

Post by Stuart McLaren »

Looks like Clarks Shoe Shop has now closed.

Stuart McLaren
Site Admin

Post by Stuart McLaren »

Alexander Thompson, the jeweller between Burton and TUI on the High St., had now closed.

Stuart McLaren
Site Admin

Post by Stuart McLaren »

In a major blow for Dumfries town centre, Debenhams, who we already knew were going out of business, have announced that they won't be re-opening any of their Scottish stores when lockdown is lifted, leaving a big, empty store in the middle of Dumfries High Street.

Stuart McLaren
Site Admin

Post by Stuart McLaren »

I see Dumfries now has its 4th branch of Gregg's, at Collin Services at the East end of the bypass.

Stuart McLaren
Site Admin

Post by Stuart McLaren »

Forgot to mention that Game have closed their town centre shop and moved into the top floor of Sports Direct at The Peel Centre on Lockerbie Road.

Stuart McLaren
Site Admin

Post by Stuart McLaren »

Was reminded today by an online BBC article that Geek Retreat have opened a shop/cafe on Academy Street where The Doonhamer used to be.